PDS Tech, Inc. is seeking a Principal Software Engineer in Merritt Island, FL or Arlington VA
Currently seeking an enthusiastic and creative software engineer to lead flight software development. We're looking for an engineer who can bring leadership, exceptional embedded programming skills, strong experience in flight software to the team.
The Principal Software Engineer's primary responsibility will be leading the development of the Company's satellite flight software. This engineer will be involved in the full lifecycle of flight software development, from requirements definition through operations. However, because we are a small team where each person takes on many roles, this engineer will also contribute to mission concept development, in-house modeling and simulation capabilities, and proposal writing. Being at the cutting edge of space technology, we need someone who is eager to learn, grow, and take on new and potentially unfamiliar challenges. There is no shortage of fascinating questions to be answered.
Flight Software: 75%
- Lead upgrades to existing flight software for new missions
- Lead new software engineering team to develop new satellite flight software for Company's satellite platforms
- Develop in-house tools to analyze flight software performance and assess its compatibility with new mission and conops
- Develop and execute flight software tests at the unit, module, subsystem, and platform level
- Support the setup of a development on-board computer at the Rosslyn office to test the software on representative hardware
- Work with Company's Satellite engineers to support installation onto the Flatsat and eventual flight hardware
- Participate in anomaly resolution activities and patch existing flight software
Systems Modeling: 15%
- Contribute to the development of systems- and mission-level modeling and simulation tools
- Develop software models of payloads for ground testing
- Support development of software model of Arrow, particularly ensuring accurate representation of the Arrow flight software
Additional Responsibilities: 10%
- Support working groups, both internal and with customers and/or vendors
- Support proposal writing, new business
- Assess the software impacts of new hardware, conops, and missions
Qualified Experience / Skills / Training:
- Required: Bachelor's degree in a technical field
- Preferred: Master's degree in computer science
- Required: 15 years of experience in software development, including
- 5+ years in embedded programming
- Leading a software team through the complete software lifecycle
- Preferred: 15+ years of experience in software development, including
- 10+ years in embedded programming, especially in aerospace and/or auto industries
- 5+ years in spacecraft flight software
- Leading a software team through the complete software lifecycle
- Hiring software developers
Knowledge, Skills, Demonstrated Capabilities:
- Insatiable curiosity and a demonstrated ability to learn and work independently
- C/C++, operating systems, and development environments
- Embedded software development
- Device driver development and software/hardware interfaces
- Real-time operating systems, embedded Linux with real-time extensions, systems programming, concurrency, and scheduling
- Strong understanding of associated firmware and hardware (e.g., onboard computers)
Communication Skills (Spoken, Written, Influencing, Presentation, Proficiency in Other Languages):
- Excellent listening, comprehension & interpersonal skills as responsible for daily communication via email and phone calls required.
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, communication (verbal/writing), and presentation skills.
- 15% Domestic & International
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance required
- Active Secret Security Clearance preferred
Reports to Software Engineering Manager
Direct Reports: Exempt: 0
Nature of Contacts:
Role includes involved communication with internal and external parties on a regular basis.
- Vision: able to see and read computer screen and other electronic equipment with screens, able to read documents.
- Hearing: able to hear to participate in conversations in person and via teleconference or phone and to hear sounds including safety warnings or alarms.
- Speaking: able to speak in conversations, deliver information and participate in communications.
- Equipment Operation: able to operate most office and personal electronic equipment.
- Carrying: able to carry documents, electronic equipment and/or supplies up to 10lbs.
- Lifting: able to lift documents, electronic equipment and/or supplies up to 10lbs.
- Pushing / Pulling: able to push/pull items in office areas.
- Sitting: able to sit for long periods of time in meetings, working on computer.
- Squatting / Kneeling: able to occasionally squat or kneel to retrieve or replace items shelved on bottom shelves
- Standing: able to stand for long periods of time.
- Walking: able to walk through office and outside areas including uneven surfaces.
PDS Tech, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status.
Founded in 1977, PDS Tech, Inc. is one of the nation's premier specialty staffing firms with 31 offices nationwide. We offer a full range of benefits including:
- Health insurance
- Paid holidays
- Weekly payroll
- Immediate 401(k) eligibility
- Completion Bonuses
- Please note availability of benefits may vary by position
PDS specializes in Engineering and IT arenas including Aerospace, Defense, Electronics, Telecommunications, Automotive, and Energy just to name a few. Our reputation, track record, and years of continuous growth reflect the commitment to quality that our employees and clients experience first-hand. To find out more about PDS, please visit www.pdstech.com
$$$ PDS pays for referrals! $$$
We pay thousands each month in referral bonuses!
Contact a recruiter for details. To find one near you, take a look at where we are.
If you have questions, please click here to contact us.
PDS Tech, Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please click here or call 1-800-270-4737 to contact us. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
The law requires PDS Tech, Inc. to post a notice describing the Federal laws prohibiting job discrimination. For information regarding your legal rights and protections, please click on the following links: EEO is the Law and EEO is the Law Supplement
PDS Tech, Inc. will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay. Please see the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision for more information.
As a Federal Contractor, PDS Tech, Inc. is required to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the United States.
For information please click on the following link: E-Verify