PDS Tech is currently seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer for our client in Cupertino, CA
Join the Maps Hardware team and use your Engineering skills to design amazing sensor systems. As a Mechanical Design Engineer, you will use your multi-disciplinary skills to integrate various sensors into hardware systems that are used to improve Map data. Candidates should be well versed in fundamental Mechanical Design principles, 3D CAD part design, the entire lifecycle process of hardware, and must be flexible in terms of day-to-day activities.
• Lead own design efforts, often concurrently. Develop new and/or improved design through the application of theoretical and practical engineering
• Provide direction and mentorship to third party suppliers and/or contract manufacturers. Be a technical leader and driver on owned projects. Serve as a technical resource to other engineering groups and project leaders
• Provide technical feedback in cross-functional reviews of the process requirements, design, qualification, and capability
• Drive failure analysis and process issue resolution when working with suppliers and contract manufacturers
• Utilize equipment to build and test prototypes, systems, and related components under electrical, mechanical stresses.
• As needed, design and develop customized equipment, fixtures and/or protocols to enable highly accurate execution of these testing activities.
• Troubleshoot failed test and product samples and provide processes or solutions for the failures.
• Perform system tear downs as a key component of failure analysis and root cause investigation. Coordinate the participation of various internal and external groups in this activity.
• Develop and adhere to lab safety protocols. Ensure compliance within lab to all regulations and good housekeeping practices.
• Conduct regular safety checks and audits of testing equipment.
• Product Engineering – Take complete ownership of a project, module, subassembly, and/or design specification. Daily work will encompass all phases from concept to production to sustaining. Devise and plan technically complex testing methods, procedures, and failure analyses.
• Design for Manufacturability – Design plastic and metal parts with foresight on potential issues that may impact the parts’ manufacturability.
• Process Engineering – Understand how components/parts interface with each other inside assemblies, and how production builds operate. Review assembly Standard Operating Procedures for accuracy, quality, and efficiency.
• Failure/Data Analysis – Plan, develop and implement technically complex procedures for engineering testing and evaluation.
• Finite element analysis (FEA) – Evaluate the performance/integrity of mechanical structure based on known or predicted conditions/criteria. Use FEA data to refine and iterate on design.
• Mechanical and/or manufacturing engineering background with emphasis on process and equipment design and development
• Self-driven/self-initiative to manage development activities in an R&D lab setting to meet team objectives and schedules
• Mechanical aptitude with hands-on experience fabricating mechanical/ electromechanical fixture and jigs, disassembly of products, and performing various metrology and measuring activities
• Expected to provide timely updates throughout multiple project activities
• Demonstrated ability in data analysis, process development targeted at meeting a specific manufacturing goal
• CAD experience (NX is a plus)
• Hands-on experience with thermal measurement, strain gauge measurement, Instron measurement
• Failure analysis experience (cross sections, Microscopy, SEM, FTIR, X-Ray, etc.)
• Experience with fabrication machining (Mill, lathe, band saw, etc.) and 3D printing
• Ability to plan DOEs, monitor data to spot trends, and react proactively
Self-motivated, curious, quick learner, good at reaching out across stake-holding teams, and working towards resolution
Education & Experience:
• BS Mechanical Engineering, or a related engineering field (minimum)
• Well versed with 3D modeling and drafting. NX experience preferred.
• Practical understanding of strength of materials, solid mechanics, and mechanical engineering fundamentals
• Proficient in Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing principles (ASME Y14.5), and tolerance stack up analysis
• Experience with Ansys, or another FEA tool
PDS Tech Commercial, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status.
Founded in 1977, PDS Tech, Inc. is one of the nation's premier specialty staffing firms with 31 offices nationwide. We offer a full range of benefits including:
- Health insurance
- Paid holidays
- Weekly payroll
- Immediate 401(k) eligibility
- Completion Bonuses
- Please note availability of benefits may vary by position
PDS specializes in Engineering and IT arenas including Aerospace, Defense, Electronics, Telecommunications, Automotive, and Energy just to name a few. Our reputation, track record, and years of continuous growth reflect the commitment to quality that our employees and clients experience first-hand. To find out more about PDS, please visit www.pdstech.com
$$$ PDS pays for referrals! $$$
We pay thousands each month in referral bonuses!
Contact a recruiter for details. To find one near you, take a look at where we are.
If you have questions, please click here to contact us.
PDS Tech Commercial, Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please click here or call 1-800-270-4737 to contact us. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
The law requires PDS Tech to post a notice describing the Federal laws prohibiting job discrimination. For information regarding your legal rights and protections, please click on the following links: EEO is the Law and EEO is the Law Supplement
PDS Tech will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay. Please see the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision for more information.
As a Federal Contractor, PDS Tech is required to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the United States.
For information please click on the following link: E-Verify