seeking a new member for our team to serve as a Tool Design Engineer (Contractor) to join the LauncherOne rocket team. If you join us in this position, you will assist in Aerospace composite and metallic part tooling definition and development. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at the rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
- Provide tooling solutions for all aspects of composite structures production, including tooling, laminating, drilling, routing/trimming, bonding, and assembly processes.
- Stay current on the latest technology for composite production and assembly processes and implement new technology as appropriate into the manufacturing process.
- Responsible for developing tooling concepts required for manufacturing and for coordinating with the tooling team on design and fabrication.
- Assist manufacturing engineers in defining assembly processes.
- Provide technical expertise into the design of the components and assemblies to maximize quality level, minimize cost, and achieve rate targets.
- Prepare and present design reviews.
- Input to the production layout of the process in the facility, continually analyzing and planning workflow, space requirements and equipment layout.
- Develop error-proofing techniques to minimize risk and assure build quality.
- Root cause analysis of manufacturing issues in development and production.
- Provide specifications, evaluation and implementation of new capital equipment for the production processes.
- Evaluate alternative manufacturing and assembly processes to improve quality and cost.
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place.
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members.
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field and/or certifications or similar within aerospace, mechanical or similar.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a manufacturing environment required.
- Experience with new part introduction for composite structures; including trimming, drilling, structural bonding, and assembly processes.
- Demonstrated experience reducing composite production costs and in lean manufacturing.
- Capacity and rate planning experience for manual work centers and capital equipment.
- Expertise in composite manufacturing processes, such as; manual layup, fiber placement, winding, bulk and sheet molding, bonding, co-curing, co-bonding, bagging and curing, oven and autoclave operation, and composite repairs.
- Effective verbal communication with internal departments and external vendors. Written communication with correct spelling and grammar.
- Good at freehand concept sketching to clearly communicate your ideas.
- Manage time well and keep files and documents organized.
- Work in a developmental, concurrent design / build environment where definition of requirements might be lacking and part designs are changing.
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment.
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement.
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team.
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness.
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed.
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too...
- Demonstrated experience in new product introductions within aerospace, aviation or automotive.
- Considerable knowledge and understanding of lean manufacturing and its application to low and medium volume production programs.
- Experience with Teamcenter, Siemens NX and Oracle is a plus.
- Experience with finite element analysis software, hand calculations and report writing of results.
- Familiar with the use of PFMEAs to reduce risk to the manufacturing process.
- Creative problem solver; able to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Excellent interpersonal, coaching, and leadership skills.
- Formal GD&T training or certification, effective use to control costs and ensure quality.
- Experience working in both R&D and production rate environments.
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space.
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
PDS Tech, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status.
Founded in 1977, PDS Tech, Inc. is one of the nation's premier specialty staffing firms with 31 offices nationwide. We offer a full range of benefits including:
- Health insurance
- Paid holidays
- Weekly payroll
- Immediate 401(k) eligibility
- Completion Bonuses
- Please note availability of benefits may vary by position
PDS specializes in Engineering and IT arenas including Aerospace, Defense, Electronics, Telecommunications, Automotive, and Energy just to name a few. Our reputation, track record, and years of continuous growth reflect the commitment to quality that our employees and clients experience first-hand. To find out more about PDS, please visit www.pdstech.com
$$$ PDS pays for referrals! $$$
We pay thousands each month in referral bonuses!
Contact a recruiter for details. To find one near you, take a look at where we are.
If you have questions, please click here to contact us.
PDS Tech, Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please click here or call 1-800-270-4737 to contact us. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
The law requires PDS Tech, Inc. to post a notice describing the Federal laws prohibiting job discrimination. For information regarding your legal rights and protections, please click on the following links: EEO is the Law and EEO is the Law Supplement
PDS Tech, Inc. will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay. Please see the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision for more information.
As a Federal Contractor, PDS Tech, Inc. is required to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the United States.
For information please click on the following link: E-Verify